What happened with the '99 V-Reds in 2010 ?
RECENT NEWS / EVENTS / SCHEDULES
- May 28 - May 30, Top Prospects Challenge Cup - Halifax has been very good to the 99 V-Reds during their 2010 Spring Hockey Season, as they ended the schedule with their 2nd tournament championship in 3 weeks! The Reds defeated the heavily favoured host, 99 Top Prospects team in the Gold Medal game, by a score of 4 - 3. This win was a huge boost for the kids and for good reason.....The 99 Top Prospects are one of the top spring hockey clubs in Atlantic Canada! The boys started the tournament with a decisive 5 - 2 win over the always hard working, NB Ice. Next, they carried on with a convincing 6 - 2 victory over the Cape Breton Island Ice Dogs. Game 3, saw the the team battle hard, to edge out the NS Selects by a score of 4 - 2. Penalties cost the V-Reds game 4, as the team lost 4 - 1, to the NS Targett.
Congratulations to the team on a very successful Spring 2010 Hockey Season, finishing with a record of 3 Gold Medals and 1 Silver Medal out of 6 tournaments that they competed in.....our best season yet!!
- May 20 - May 23, Montreal Meltdown - The Montreal Meltdown provided some good competition for the 99 V-Reds over the weekend. The team competed very hard and played well, earning 5 of a possible 8 points in the round robin. Unfortunately, they didn't finish up as one of the top 2 teams in their division, even though they had a respectable 2 Wins - 1 Loss and 1 Tie record. The first game ended 2 - 1 in our favour against the Montreal Metro Wolverines. The score was no indication of the play as the kids were in control from start to finish. Game 2 was a different story vs. the Montreal Petit Blizzards. The score ended 5 - 0 for the Blizzards, in this one sided penalty filled affair. The Reds were in the Sin Bin for 11 penalties, compared to the Blizzards 1 penalty. For Game 3, the team didn't waste any time bouncing back, with a convincing 4 - 0 victory over the AAA Mustangs from Montreal. The 4th and final game ended in a 2 - 2 draw vs. the Couger Gold Selects from Burlington Ontario. In this game, the team delivered numerous bone crushing body checks, displaying, yet another dimension to their already high level of play. All in all, it was a very successful weekend in Montreal with the team gaining more confidence in each game they played.
- May 14 - May 16, Bluenose Cup - The 99 V-Red Prospects defended their title from last spring, with a perfect five win sweep in the recent Bluenose Cup, for the Gold medal in Halifax. Game 1, saw them play a strong Nova Scotia Target team to a 1-0 victory. In game 2, the team faced a hard hitting NB Ice. The score was tied 0-0 after the first period, but a strong 2nd and 3rd period "Iced" the NB Ice, in this 4-1 victory. Game 3 was a very one sided game for the Reds in the beginning as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead. After 2 periods they added 2 more to make the score 7-2. The 2 goals in the 2nd for Saint John seemed to wake them up as they scored 4 more unanswered goals in the 3rd, to end the game in a very close 7-6 decision in our favour ! In the semi-final game 4, the team played well, enroute to a 6-2 win over the host Nova Scotia Selects. Game 5, for the Gold medal, was a very close 3-1 decision against the Cape Breton Island Ice Dogs. The game was 2-1 after 2 periods with a 3rd period empty netter, to insure the win. This was a very close (too close) and exciting final game to end the tournament !!!! Congratulations to the team on a well earned Gold Medal !!!
- Apr 30- May 2, Bluewater Hockey Classic - The 99 V-Reds faced some tough competition in Summerside, PEI at the Extreme tournament with 4 losses. All the games were close with no blowouts, but the guys couldn't find their finishing touch that they had in their first 2 tournaments. The tournament started in a very close, 4-3 loss to the Nova Scotia X-Men. In game 2, they were up against a big, hard hitting Nova Scotia Raiders team. The guys went toe to toe with them, but fell short 3-2 in the end. Game 3 saw the team against their arch nemesis, the NB Stars. The team held them to a 0-0 tie after the first period, but the 2nd period proved to be their demise when the Stars scored 3 unanswered goals. A 4th goal in the 3rd period sealed the deal, in this 4-0 loss. In the final game, the Reds faced the host PEI Extreme team. The kids put in a solid effort, but came up short, in this 2-1 final game defeat. It should be noted, that the teams the 99 V-Reds played in this tournament were some of the best spring teams in the East, so they should be very proud of themselves!!
- Apr 23- 25, V-Red Prospects Tournament - The 99 V-Reds carried their momentum from Moncton over to their own tournament, with a solid performance. They started out with a convincing 5 - 0 win over the 99 Saint John Express, in which they controlled the game from start to finish. Game 2 saw them up against a much improved 99 T-Force team from Halifax. This was a well earned 2 - 1 victory that kept them on their toes! In Game 3, the boys exploded in the 3rd period to take out the Cape Breton Island Icedogs by a score of 6 - 1. Game 4, the Semi-Finals, the Reds played a re-match against the T-Force, coming up strong again, with a 2 - 0 win. The Game 5 Gold Medal final, didn't go according to script as the V-Reds fell 6 - 1 to a very good team in the NS Top Prospects. Overall, the team played another very good tournament and should be very proud of their efforts!!!
- Apr 9-11, Lobster Cup - The boys wasted no time, starting the season with a great effort and a Gold Medal performance at the Lobster Cup in Shediac. They started out the tournament with a 4-2 win over a surprisingly strong 1st year spring team, in the NB Ice. Next, the team coasted to a 6-1 victory over the Saint John Express. In the 3rd game, the kids continued to roll, with a 5-0 win in a harding hitting, head to head battle against a much improved, 99 V-Red Regional team. Maybe, the Reds got away a little to easy at the start of the tournament, as they met their match in a 4-2 loss to the NS Selects. As luck would have it though, the team got another crack at the NS Selects in the final and returned the favour, in a hard fought 4-2 victory, for the Gold! Well done guys!!
- Apr 7, 2010 - '99 V-Reds Add Two (2) Extra Practices to Spring Schedule
Apr 5, 2010 - The 2010 practice schedule for April is now available here
Mar 2, 2010 - The 2010 tournament schedule has been set for the '99 V-Reds.
- Tues, May 4 @ 5:15 - 6:15pm Willie O'Ree
- Tues, May 18 @ 5:15 - 6:15pm LBR
Mar 2, 2010 - '99 V-Reds 2010 Exhibition Schedule
- April 9 - 11.........Lobster Cup (Shediac, NB)... GOLD
- April 23 - 25........V-Red Tourney (Oromocto, NB)... SILVER
- April 30 - May 2...Blue Water Hockey Classic (Summerside, PEI)
- May 14 - 16........Bluenose Cup (Halifax, NS) ... GOLD
- May 20 - 23........Warrior Montreal Meltdown (Montreal, PQ)
- May 28 - 30........Top Prospects Challenge Cup (Halifax, NS) ... GOLD
Mar 2, 2010 - '99 V-Reds 2010 Exhibition Results
- Mar 21...Game, AUC @ 9:40am vs. Saint John '99 Express
- Apr 5.....Game, Soldiers Arena @ 5:15pm vs. Saint John Screaming Eagles
- May 10.....Game, RNS (Saint John) @ 7:00pm vs. Saint John Screaming Eagles
2010 SPRING RESULTS
Wins: 22 Losses: 8 Ties: 1 Total Games Played: 31
- Mar 21...'99 V-Reds (10) Saint John '99 Express (5)
- Apr 5.....'99 V-Reds (8) Saint John Screaming Eagles (3)
- May 10.....'99 V-Reds (2) Saint John Screaming Eagles (1)